Afyon Kocatepe University was founded in 1992, and started the educational activities at 1992-1993 academic year. However, the history of university goes back to 1974 with Afyonkarahisar Finance and Accounting High School, a branch of Eskişehir Economics and Trading Sciences Academy.
Now, the university has educational activities with 12 faculties and 4 schools at Bachelor of Science degree level, 15 vocational colleges at Associate Degree level, 3 institutes for graduate education.
The educational activities consist of many different fields including;
• Health education (Faculty of medicine, School of Health, Vocational College of Health Services),
• Engineering education (Engineering Faculty and Faculty of Technology and many programs in several vocational schools),
• Economics and Administrative sciences education (Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Bolvadin School of Applied Sciences and many programs in several vocational schools),
• Tourism Education (School of Tourism and Hospitality Management)
• Veterinary medicine education,
• Teacher education (Education Faculty and School of Physical Training and Sports)
• Art education (Faculty of Fine arts and State Conservatory).
Research and graduate education is one of the most substantial issues for Afyon Kocatepe University. These activities are carried out at graduate institutes (Graduate Institute of Science and Engineering, Graduate Institute of Health Sciences, and Graduate Institute of Social Sciences). The university also consists of several research groups in the faculties as well as the research laboratories.
There are two main campuses in the city center. The Ahmet Necdet Sezer (One of the former president of Turkish Republic, raised at Afyonkarahisar) Campus is used for faculties and research centers while the Ali Çetinkaya (One of the politicians having important roles at the establishment of the Turkish Republic) Campus is used for Health Education units and University Hospital.
Afyon Kocatepe University has more than 30 000 registered student and about 80 000 graduates.
AFYONKARAHİSAR SCHOOL of HEALTH
(Afyon School of Health) 1997-1998 academic year began education with the Department of Nursing, Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation and Health Management departments in 2008, Nutrition and Dietetics Department was opened in 2009.